Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Independence Day

When I say 4th of July, I'm not sure how you picture it, but this year makes me particularly weepy. I look at Frannie and I'm so grateful to have our country for her sake. Among my grandfather, my father, my brother and my uncle, they put in over 100 years of service to our country and it makes me very proud to come from an Army family. My Dad grew up in the Navy so I guess it didn't seem too strange for him to put in 27 years of his life too. God bless these men and all the other men and women who do it for our country, not for the money.

In years past, I have been in two other countries on the 4th of July and it makes me think these maudlin thoughts -- people have no idea how blessed we are. When I was in Jamaica 6 years ago for the summer, I watched how hard the natives worked for almost no money and yet we Americans get a FREE education, we can work hard and get scholarships, grants and become millionaires if we work hard enough. Jamaicans can work as hard as they want, but most are banished to the slums for life. Even when I was in Ireland for the summer about 12 years ago (as much as I love it and would never slander the Old Country), I realized how much more we have in the US, handed to us only by the grace of God. In a history class once I listened as a woman bashed our judicial system and I could not restrain myself. I asked her if she had ever been to a third world country or even to Europe and compared the freedoms we have. I honestly can't remember how the argument ended, but I was grateful to have seen parts of the world where I never want to live. I hope you feel the same way. God bless America.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Yes I feel the same way. After seeing poor people in China, there are no poor people in America....I get so tired of these people giving their sob stories about why they can't work, succeed...blah, blah, blah.......

We have it MADE here!!!

Briana's Mom said...

Great post! Yesterday was so special because it was Briana's first Independence Day! America the beautiful!

The Evans Family said...

America is a wonderful country. Each person has the opportunity to become and do what they choose. Unfortunately so many Americans take for granted what they have. They even have the audacity to believe that they are OWED something when they give nothing!

Having lived in Europe for 3 years and visited so many other countries (Poland, China and Jamaica being amongst the poorest) I am so grateful that my grandfathers immigrated here.

I am a second generation American and so proud of what my Polish grandfather and his children accomplished to get me where I am today! My children, of which 3 are new citizens, certainly understand the gifts that they've been given come with a responsibility to give back.