Friday, November 30, 2007

Makes me want to call Oprah or 20/20





I will end this post on a happy note, I promise, but just to explain to those who have asked or expressed interest, I teach children with SEVERE and PROFOUND intellectual disabilities. I don't want to downplay their potential, but these kids are working on skills such as blinking for yes/no, self-feeding, grasp/release, participating in daily hygiene routines (maybe by opening their mouth for me to brush) and the like. No sh*%#, I am supposed to be teaching them physics and geometry per some genius' law. I can't blame George W., he's not writing the rule book, but someone out there must hear from PARENTS who are annoyed. Unless all the Severe/Profound teachers revolt and threaten to walk (which, ironically, we would never do because we love our kids too much), no one cares.


Okay, so Frannie did have a great time in Florida and here are some more photos. Laura, by the way, she loved that little dog! Thanks to my cousin Judy for being the greatest hostess (unlike myself when I'm a hostess, she is calm and her hair is all in place and she smiles AND has a clean house and great food). Frannie's kidney scans are back, by the way, and she has two, but they are not symmetrical, but they both appear to be functional!). Happy birthday Jane A!
P.S. Don't you just love the picture of Frannie kicking the crap out of her two cousins? Ha ha

5 comments:

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

I'm a high school teacher and the special needs classes are near my hall and I so I interact routinely with those teachers and I completely agree with you. It doesn't stop there, though. "Inclusion" has become an issue too. Of course, not on the same level as your students issues, but those "expectations" are across the board and it is an issue. The expectations for all of these children definitely need to be re-thought.
Frannie continues to be such a doll,
Amy

Peggy Ward said...

Hey El, I just wrote to Oprah on her website. I put your phone number and name as the "alternate contact." We'll see if anything happens. I suggested a show with students, parents and special ed teachers, as well as the countering administrators. Who knows?

Carol said...

I hear you....been fighting with the system for 3 years now!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes!
You are they type of teacher I adore working with. :)

Shelley said...

As the mother of one of the severe and profound kiddos, I am so thankful for you and all the other teachers who love our children. And I agree wholeheartedly that the school system needs work. For now our little girl is in public school preschool and it is wonderful!! We hope to keep her in school for as long as possible but I will not hesitate to bring her home to homeschool when the school system is no longer meeting her needs....sad, but true! Thank you so much for your commitment to these children, many like my daughter, cannot even say the words "Thank you." Know you are appreciated for your hard work.
On another note, I think I found your blog from a XianYang mom...did Frannie live at Xian Yang? We have a 14 month old daughter waiting for us there and hope to travel in February or March to get her!