Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Emotional Day

I woke up to read an e-mail about my Dad being in the hospital again with an irregular heartbeat and breathing issues (again). Poor guy just can't stay away from the hospital. When I got to work I read that my AP, Deb's Dad died over the weekend. We all thought it was imminent, but horribly sad nonetheless. About 30 minutes later, an e-mail popped up on my screen from my co-worker and buddy, Eileen marked "Kevin." Eileen and I have a lot in common -- we are both Irish Catholic, we both have Kevins for husbands, we share the same humor and we are both blessed with girls who happen to have been born in China. Her daughter is also a ballet dancer. My dear friend Eileen lost her Kevin this weekend in a tragic accident. He was a mere 51 years old. I wanted so much to jump in my car and speed right over to her, just to wrap my arms around her. But I knew she did not need that right now. She needs to be with her kids. My principal's retirement party was all set for 4:30 and I had signed up to help set up. On my way out the door to get some more soda, I got a call from my dear friend Norma, informing me that our neighbor had fallen over, apparently having a heart attack. His wife was at the hospital near my school, could I go over and sit with Rosemary? I love Rosemary dearly and would have run right over if I could, but I felt like I could not run out of school. Norma called me 30 minutes later to inform me that our dear neighbor Ron had not even lived to make it to the hospital. Dear, dear Ron was just this month retiring from the Army after serving in Iraq and spending so much time away from his family. It's so strange how it happens like this -- so much in one day. Fast forward to the retirement "party," with Kevin and the girls along, I cried to see dear David leaving us, albeit for less stressful and more relaxing times FOR HIM, but with broken hearts for us. My Kevin was grieving for Ron -- I was grieving for Eileen, Ron, Rosemary, the loss of David and worried about my Dad. Give me strength and the right words to say to all these friends, Lord. Protect these families and be with them on this day.

2 comments:

Steve and Darcy said...

Wow Ellen. I am saying a prayer right now for you and every family that you wrote about. Feel free to call or come over for coffee...I am here for you if you need me!! Hugs!
Darcy

Anonymous said...

...we read about your friend 'Kevin' in our local Syracuse paper's death notices, that he grew up near here. So sorry for this loss...Gwen & Mike