Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tough Job

The worst part of my job is losing my students. I am not sure why this hit me SO hard, but I found out the day before yesterday that I lost two beloved former students, one of whom was not even in my class, but in my former school. Although both Diamond and Shawanis are in the greatest place for all eternity, it hit me right in the gut. I thought of Shawanis at our Valentine's Day pagent, driving her scooter with such pride and how we all cried for her because for the first time in her life, she was able to move herself with Dillon's borrowed scooter. She had the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. Diamond was a miracle -- she had one of the worst cases of scoliosis I've ever seen, but she smiled ALL the time. I know she lived as long as she did because of the love she got at home. She was always surrounded by a house full of foster siblings and her foster Mom who loved her since infancy. Pray for those families for their losses.

Let's all count our blessings today. We can all come up with a minimum of 10 things to be REALLY grateful for. Thank you Lord for the ability to get out of bed, thank you for having too much to eat, thank you for having a family that loves me even when I'm not very nice, thank you for the love these students have given ME, thank you for the way Frannie says "moop" instead of moose, thank you for my husband who gets me Sprite when I don't feel well, thank you for my faith.

I'm going to try to treat every person today like they might be Jesus in disguise, want to join me?

1 comment:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Excellent reminder of how we should appreciate so much of what we have. I'm sorry. L