Sunday, August 26, 2007

We are Hours Away

We had some internet problems last night -- I can't read your posts for some reason. However, I wanted to thank everyone for writing. Maybe I can ask a nice attendant here in the Business Center at the Shangri La to help me read all the chinese symbols (all the buttons are no longer in English).

We got up this morning at 2:00 and never went back to sleep. Our guide and driver arrived at the hotel at 5:30 to take us to the airport. I couldn't help but think about some concerns for Frannie. I'm just so nervous about doing the right thing for her. I can't even think about it without getting welled up. It is now 12:15 in the afternoon and we are leaving here with our new guide, Sally, to head to the Civil Affairs? office. We unpacked about an hour ago and put all her clothes in the drawers. This is so surreal! She will actually be wearing the little outfit Judy& Meghan or Mary Pat bought us soon! She will be wearing the little hat Lisa got her and playing with the books Skelly bought her!

It has been a long time since I was awake for 38 hours straight. When we finally got in bed in Beijing I counted the time and it had been just that -- I felt like I was on drugs. I can't believe we slept through everything yesterday! We never got to see Tiennamen (sp) Square or eat real Beijing Peking Duck. Our guide Sally assures us that Xi'an has some great Peking duck too. She loves to talk about little Ally and the Harkness girls. She really loves them!

The streets are really packed with people, even at odd hours. I still can't get over the bikes veering in and out of traffic with no fear at all. The drivers get so close, but we've seen no accidents yet.

I'm off to see how much a massage costs and tell Kevin about the huge workout room here. By the way, my back feels much better thanks to the ice and supine position for a while. The right side of my hip down to my knee was numb for a while. Hmmm.... this can't be good. Better now, however.

We will try to get on later to download the pictures of our Gotcha Day! Kevin's daily article will be read at that time. xo Ellen

4 comments:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Ally and I are up bright and early this Sunday Am to eagerly await Frannie!

Donna said...

I woke up this morning and first checked here to see if you have your long awaited angel yet. Looks like I will have to wait a little longer. Looking forward to seeing you with Frannie soon!

Mary Pat said...

I have been thinking and praying for you at Mass and can't wait to hear. I know you must be physically and emotionally exhausted. I pray our little angel settles in and gets some rest too. I know she is wondering who these strangers are that have taken her, but that will soon become love. Be patient with yourselves. Love, Mary Pat

Steve and Darcy said...

The first thing that I did when I woke up was check your blog! Can't wait to see pictures of you all together - finally!!! We are praying for a great transition.