Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Today is What Day?

Okay, so I boycott Walmart in the U.S. and I spent this morning in Walmart. We went looking for the cute, cheap shoes that I loved the last time in Xi'an and apparently, prices have increased or this town is more expensive. We had a good time shopping -- Nancy and I concur that if we had 1 yuan for every stare, we would be quadrillionaires. I wanted to start sticking my tongue out at all the people who stare, but I don't want to start an international incident like my husband did in Xi'an. Nancy and I decided to say Ni Hao to every person who stares, smile and allow them to touch, stare and make comments. No hurt feelings when they point to Grace's funny lip, I just don't want them to make judgments on Americans based on one experience with a psycho-protective American Mom. So when one woman came up and started to adjust Frannie in her stroller, I just held up my hand in front of her, smiling and said Ni Hao, but let it be known -- back off nut job.

Our guide is.... okay, I'm trying to be a Christian here .... annoying to me. She is not very clear, she is not very helpful and almost everything I ask for results in "that will cost more," including fetching my missing bag from the airport. She talks over me, she corrects me constantly and when she told me to bring 6,300 yuan to the civil affairs meeting then later, in the office said 'so where is the 7,080, did you forget it? I wanted to kung fu her too. Not to whine, but after our previous experiences, I'm ... looking forward to getting out of this place.

Kevin had to e-mail me a passport photo, which I had forgotten to include in my packet. I had to venture to the photo lab, down the street from our hotel and when the photo lady tried to gesture to me that something was obviously wrong with it, I could not help but have fun with it and say "Yes, I know he is funny looking" and she frowned and repeated more gestures, pointing to his forehead and his chin and I said "Yes, he is a smart alec and I want him to shave that goatee too." We finally got through it and she just wanted me to know she might have to crop the picture, but in the meantime i had fun. Making fun of Kevin is so fun in China.

Grace is showing her stubborn side occasionally, not allowing me to feed her (FINE by me!) and she started to hit Frannie with a scowl on her face. Luckily, Frannie had learned to just wag her finger and say "No Gracie!" and pat her gently. Gracie is ticklish, loves it when she or I drop ANYTHING and likes to imitate her big sister. Her palate is pretty severe, from what I can see and she will definitely need plastic surgery on her gums, etc. The other day when we went to the civil affairs meeting, the orphanage director was not able to attend so the same nanny that brought her was there again. Gracie did NOT want to go to her and clung to me. Hmmm, scary. She does not seem to be grieving, but I'm not sure of anything (she could still....)

I will post the pictures from today later. We are wiped out and I need to sleep! Miss you KJF :)

WWKS, Chongqing, China, September 17, 2009

Go teapot. Go Gators. It's too late to think of anything fun or funny.

6 comments:

Lisa Cochran said...

Hi Fay Family - Sorry I haven't posted sooner - we have been keeping up with you to see how you all are doing. Grace is SO beautiful and Frannie seems to have adjusted to the Big Sister role just as beautifully as I knew she would!!! Don't worry about her not wanting to share you - I have two big sisters and that doesn't ever really change:) And, truth be told - if I were in your shoes I would have been a little disappointed if Frannie wasn't a little bit stingy with sharing your love. She has been the one and only with such an awesome Mommy for two years now.

The girls look so precious together - like it is the way it has always been. What a blessed sight!! I love the picture of them sleeping holding hands - so beautiful. What a gift you have received. God is SO good!

We miss you all so much and can't wait for your return and to meet sweet Grace. Stay safe and hurry home. We love you all -

Lisa and Brett

Steve and Darcy said...

NO international incidents, please!! You apparently made it without being quarantined...prison would probably be worse!! ;-) Sorry that you couldn't find the cheap shoes - I got some cheap ones on the Island - but I took the squeakers out. Hang in there, you will be in Guangzhou soon, and then home!! My kids are hitting too, but they don't wag fingers at each other - they hit back!! Good Frannie for taking the high road!! You are doing great - our prayers continue to be with you!!

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Not that we didn't like our guide in Kunming with Alaina; but no one compares to sweet Sally in Xian! Right? So, I'm guessing a flight to Guangzhou is in your very near future!!! Can't wait to see pics of Walmart! When we went in Kunming (didn't go in Xian) we LOVED it; with the exception of the nastiest bathrooms I have EVER seen (including in all of China). Sam Walton, I'm sure, would have been mortified!!! Wishing you a happy day!!!

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

Yep, I remember all the stares we got in Chongqing. So awkward. I even remember two guys in a grocery store chuckling at us. Not sure why. And everything is more expensive there! I hardly bought anything in Chongqing - I waited until Guangzhou.

Still sounds like you are doing great though! Hang in there!

Donna said...

Ann in Guangzhou can hook you up in the cheap shoe departments for sure!

One day at a time, my friend. Relax take it all in stride the best you can. Look you have 2 beautiful girls with you, what else could you need ;)

Call me anytime if you need to vent or just chat-678-296-9975.